Friday, July 27, 2012

My Portrait Quilt!!!

Today i look forward to continuing to work on my mt first portrait quilt. I was inspired by Luke Haynes....
http://lukehaynes.com/
He seems to blur the lines between the craft world and art world. Mainly, since i finished grad school i have found so much pleasure sewing and quilting and the repetitive and metatative techniques involved, however i have missed the critical thinking involved with the conceptual work that is made in an MFA program. Anyway, i think luke does a good job using a quilt as a photograph or painting. Attemping to use his techniques i hope to create a balance between the technique that i love and using as an outlet for some of my thoughts as well.
But, lets be honest, i have never made a quilt like this, and there arn't really any instructions on luke's website.... so i decided to see if this kind of quilting is even possible for me! this is the picture i chose to do....
and then i went into photoshop to make the colors more blocky and able to be quilted- and now it looks like this....
I am in the beginning stages. i projected the altered image on my wall and traced the outlines onto some roll paper. I have started to cut the pieces out to his face and layered them on top of each other.... I have alot more to do, but im excited and it actually is starting to look like a face when photographed from above!
Anyway, i am thankful....
Thank you delicious cherries for making the morning a little easier to handle....

No comments:

Post a Comment